Given the rapidly evolving economic situation, Statistics Canada is providing an advance estimate of sales in the wholesale trade sector for October. The advance results for October indicate that wholesale sales rose 1.3%. The increase largely reflects higher sales in the building material and supplies subsector.
This estimate was calculated based on a weighted response rate of 54.5%. The average final response rate for the survey over the past 12 months has been 85.5%. As Statistics Canada continues to collect data for the October reference month, this early indicator is subject to a higher revision rate than the regular monthly release.
Advance estimates by subsector:
• Farm products: -1.3%
• Food, beverage and tobacco products: +1.7%
• Personal and household goods: +2.6%
• Motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts and accessories: +2.0%
• Building material and supplies: +4.2%
• Machinery, equipment and supplies: -0.4%
• Miscellaneous goods: -1.0%
Source: Statistics Canada